Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Whistler Ziptrek

On arrival back to Vancouver Aimee and I each had a list of things we wanted to do and see. Obviously seeing friends and family were the top of that list. Other things on the list included drinking the local beers I miss and Aimee was craving the bellini cocktail from Milestones Restaurant. Also, we both were oddly craving veggie burgers since it's difficult to find them in Manila. But beyond the family, friends and food plans we decided a trip to Whistler for a little skiing was also in order. Once we got there, however, we altered our skiing plans to something called 'ziptrekking'.

Ziptrek is 10 ziplines spanning over 2.4 kms and 8,100' across the Blackcomb and Whistler Mountains. Your starting point is near the top of Whistler Mountain and each zipline you attach yourself to zips/speeds you closer down the mountain towards Whistler Village.

Here's Aimee and her motley crew of ziptrekkers.



Our friend attempts the first Ziptrek.



Now it's Aimee's turn to bravely go where no Filipino has gone before (maybe!).



Aimee's zipline brings her to the other side.



Finally it's my turn. I'm the one using the camera so obviously this is my point of view.

Each zipline brought us closer and closer to Whistler Village. The final zipline was the most fun. On this line we were allowed to be strapped in upsidedown if we wanted. I chose upsidedown obviously. I unfortunately don't have a photo of this but picture in your mind an inverted cross zipping across a wire down a mountain. That was me. The last 20 seconds of this zipline went over a ski hill. Imagine yourself skiing happily down a mountain when suddenly an upsidedown man zips over you. Would this frighten you? Confuse you? Or shock you to the point where you stop watching where you're going and smash into another skier. Well, some unfortunate skier did just that. Kenn flies passed him upsidedown and WHAM, he smacks into another skier. I found myself laughing at this until I reached the end of the zipline and the breaks where applied. The unfortunate thing about the way they strapped you in upsidedown is there's one strap that went between your legs. The brakes were applied and this strap tightened up. You can use your imagination with the rest of this but I bet the skier who crashed because of me felt it was good karma when I squealed like a pig in pain. Damn karma, it always comes back to bite you in the butt.

No comments: