Monday, January 7, 2008

Driving

I just got back from driving myself to a haircut. In normal driving conditions the time frame from home to salon should only take 10 minutes. But since the Philippines doesn't understand the term 'normal driving conditions' this haircut adventure can take - and has taken - close to an hour in the past. I'm happy to announce that today's haircut drive was the 'normal driving condition' time of 10 minutes. 2008 is looking good so far!

Speaking of driving I'm reminded about a thought I had when I hopped into our rental car in Vancouver. I wondered to myself what my driving skills were going to be like back in Canada. You see, my 4 months in the Philippines has twisted my driving skills into something that can only be called Filipino Chaos. Within 4 months I drive like 'they' do: I cut people off. I swerve in and out of lanes. Swerve? Forget the lanes, who needs lanes? I drive between lanes while I swerve. I'll even drive towrds incoming traffic. I drive at night without my lights on. I honk my car horn for no apparent reason. I'll switch lanes without using my turn signal or when I do use it, I'll leave it on for a few blocks just to annoy people. The worse thing? I caught myself driving without a seatbelt. These are bad bad things - at least in the land of the Canucks. Here in Pinoy World it's considered acceptable. So considering my new unique driving style I was wondering if I'd have issues once I got on the road in Vancouver. The conclusion? I'm happy to announce that my driving style is alot like my "Pause" and "Play" analogy from before. When in the Philippines my "Philippine Driving Switch" is clicked into the 'ON' position. And when I'm in Canada my 'Canadian Driving Switch" is clicked into the 'ON' position as well. Thankfully these two ON switches cannot be switched at the same time. I do fear, however, that the day may come when I get the switches mixed up. A Canadian driving style in the Philippines would leave me stranded on the side of the road with my turn signal flashing in the hope someone will let me in. They won't; I would be stuck there forever. My Philippine driving style in Canada would leave me, well, pennyless once I paid for all the traffic violation tickets. In either case, stranded or pennyless, I prefer to keep the two driving worlds separated.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My my my....

Don't you come equipped with a lot of buttons!!!! Play, pause, on, off.....

You're probably open-line (unlocked) too where the rest of us are locked in!