Tuesday, October 2, 2007

San Miguel Beer

This blog is 7 years in the making. As in, it's been 7 years since I tried my first San Miguel Beer!

Whenever I travel to a new country (or Province, State, or City for that matter) I always make it a habit to try both the national mass marketed beer and the regional beer. For you Vancouver types the national beer would be Molson Canadian and one of our regional beers would be Granville Island Brewery. In most countries due to the number of breweries it's impossible to try every beer the country produces, but in the cases of the Philippines, it's actually not that difficult.

The Philippines' beer industry is lead by the powerhouse San Miguel Brewery. I say 'powerhouse' because San Miguel Brewery, a division of San Miguel Corporation, is the largest food and beverage company in Southeast Asia. So there's a sense of pride in my heart that I live in a country that rules the Asian beer market; seeing as I'm an avid beer drinker (or 'beer snob' as Aimee likes to call me). So are the beers actually good? Their beers don't compare with European-style beers but they're actually pretty refreshing. The brewery's flagship beer is called San Miguel Pale Pilsen. It's the brewery's best-selling beer and the 14th largest-selling beer in the world. Other beers produced by the brewery are San Miguel Light, San Miguel Negra, San Miguel Strong Ice, San Miguel Super Dry, and Red Horse. All the beers except one are light pilseners or lagers. San Miguel Negra is a dark lager.

At first I didn't like the beers; but now they've grown on me. There's nothing more relaxing than sitting in the hot tropical sun, on a Philippines white sands beach, and sipping on a freezing cold San Miguel Super Dry beer. Ah yes ... paradise!



Look at these guys. All lining up in single file as if they're saying, "please drink me, I'm delicious!" Who am I to deny this fine beverage their destiny; I shall open and drink one now!

No comments: