Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hong Kong is (Not) Pinoy

Think of me as your foreign correspondent, traveling the world in search of everything Pinoy! My travels brought me to Hong Kong last weekend. We were there to celebrate my Mother-in-law's birthday!

Hong Kong does have its own areas of Pinoy-ness (including their very own Jollibee), but my thoughts were more of China than the Philippines. So this blog is zero percent Philippines and 100% Hong Kong. So without any further delays, I bring you HONG KONG!

I've been to Hong Kong several times. I really like it there. To me Hong Kong is what London could be if it was younger, less dirty, and more hip. It's an interesting mix of English order and organization and Chinese culture. The people there even have an interesting English and Cantonese infuzed accent that makes me smile everytime I hear it. The public transportation makes it easy to get around. The MRT, their rapid transit subway system, spans the length of all the islands of Hong Kong so getting from point A to point B is simple. During my last trip there I pretty much saw as many museums and sites I could within a two day span. This time around Aimee and I decided to take in less sites and more relaxation. Here are a few photos I took during my current stay in Hong Kong:



Our day started with dim sum. For you people living in a cave somewhere 'dim sum' is the name for a Chinese cuisine which involves a wide range of light dishes served alongside Chinese tea. Think of it as 'tapas' Chinese-style.

It was good I built up my energy eating that dim sum, I needed all the energy I could get doing battle with a Hong Kong celebrity.



Bruce Lee thought he could challange me with his unique fighting style. Little did he know that I too had my own unique fighting style. Us Canadian-German-Pinoy types are of the best fighters in the world. I won the battle and allowed Bruce to limp away with his dignity intact.

To celebrate my gloreous win against Bruce Lee, Aimee and I decided to enjoy a little beer.



Here's Aimee with her little beer.



The Bruce Lee fight, the beer drinking, and this photo all took place in Hong Kong's Kowloon city. This area of Kowloon, called the Avenue of the Stars, is Hong Kong's version of Hollywood's Walk of Fame. Here's Aimee posing with her favourite Hong Kong star Andy Lau.



One of Hong Kong's famous attractions is The Peak. The Peak is the highest point of Hong Kong. To get there you can either go by bus, car or tram. We chose the Tram. The Peak Tram is pulled by steel cables, the tram climbs 373 metres (about 1,200 feet) up the hillside. It's so steep that the buildings you pass look like they're leaning at a 45°angle!



Here's a photo of the Peak Tram reaching the top.



Once we reached the top we saw a spectacular view of the surrounding city skyline, the world-famous Victoria Harbour and Kowloon, towering skyscrapers and peaceful green hillsides.



Here's me posing for my Peak model shoot.



But wouldn't you know it ... damn Bruce came back for another whipping. He followed me to The Peak. I'm a gentle person but I was forced to teach this annoying guy a lesson. I won again (obviously).



All over Hong Kong there are unique Hallowe'en decorations. Aimee and I thought this one was especially interesting.



Our tourist day ended on the top of an uncovered double decker bus. Hong Kong, like England, uses double decker buses and trollies as part of their mass transportation. It was a good mini holiday and I'm certain we'll be back again.

No comments: