Monday, October 1, 2007

Pet Village

A few blogs back I talked about the total lack of cat supplies here in the Philippines. I also mentioned I was interested in going to a market called Tiendesitas. This market, claimed the website, came complete with a pet store section called Pet Village. According to the website, there's 18 pet stores to shop in. EIGHTEEN!! That certainly sounds like the Godfather of all pet shopping centers. I finally got the chance to visit Pet Village. Was it truly the Holy Grail of pet stores and supplies here in the Philippines? Is it really a mecca of everything my kitty needs to keep her well fed and happy in this Country of Dog Lovers? The answer ... no, but it comes pretty damn close. Pet Village is pretty much 18 dog stores with a few cat supplies available in each store. But when you see that all 18 stores sell something different for cats it's almost like getting all your cat supplies in one place. I ended up leaving Tiendesitas/Pet Village with everything I wanted only it took me a long time going from store to store to find it. This is fine by me, I dont mind a little bit of hunting as long as I get my prey ('prey' being little catnip mice, cat vitamins, treats, and kitty shampoo).


This window display looks impressive but it's 100% pure dog products (unless I wanted to put one of those leashes on my cat)
.
At Pet Village they also sell a wide variety of depressed looking new best friends. Yes, that's a cat in the same display cage as a dog. Seeing this kind of enhances my belief that Filipinos treat cats like another breed of dog.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha! That is hilarious! If you hadn't pointed out the cat I would have thought it was just another cage of sad animals.

Well, cats & dogs can get along with each other - unless someone is looking specifically for a cat-eating dog, they probably would think it's cute they aren't fighting.

Glad you got all your supplies - thought you were going to ask me to go south Granville pet boutiques with your shopping list. ;)

Kenniverse said...

Hmmmm, now that you've mentioned it ... Daphne could use a small jar of kitty caviar. Ah hell, let's just give her REAL caviar. She deserves it! :)

Trevor Dubinsky said...

I always thought that petstore pets look sad. As much as I want to rescue them I don't want to support the store.

Well at least our Preying Mantis is easy to keep.