Monday, February 18, 2008

Canadian Soil

Today I was in Canada!
Or to be more precise, today I was on Canadian soil.
I went to the Canadian embassy in Manila to renew my passport.
Walking into the embassy felt like walking into any government building in Canada. There were Canadian flags everywhere! There were posters on the walls (in English and French) talking about various information about Canada, and there were video screens showing beauty shots from every Province. Interestingly enough, 'every Province' usually seems to mean BC, Alberta, Ottawa, Ontario, and PEI. I saw video showing the mountains and lush forests of BC, the wheat fields of Alberta, the government landmarks of Ottawa, the amazing sites of Niagara Falls in Ontario, and various shots of lighthouses in PEI. I didn't see anything from Quebec, Manitoba or the remaining Provinces. And nothing from the Territories. Doesn't poor misunderstood Nunavut Territory deserve some respect? At least show a shot of an Eskimo (or Inuit if you prefer). Maybe I'm just being picky because I used to edit tourism videos for Canada. And after a while, my trademark became always adding an eskimo into the mix. This trademark became difficult to fulfill once I started editing tourist videos for Vancouver. You'd be hard pressed to locate an eskimo in Vancouver; even when the weather gets really cold! But enough about my anal viewpoint of tourism videos, back to the embassy!
I brought my PSP with me so I could occupy my time while I waited. Bad idea, I should have brought a book. All electronics were temporarily confiscated at the door. So once inside, I was forced to read the supplied Canadian propaganda pamphlets. While I sat there I was serenaded by the beautiful sounds of Loreena McKennitt. A good relaxing choice for a Canadian embassy's waiting room music. I probably would have gone postal with Celine Dion or Anne Murray. There's nothing more embarrassing than being thrown out of your country's embassy because you start attacking people with propaganda pamphlets. So I waited, and I listened. The number being displayed on the screen was 2001. My number was 2005. Numbers 2001, 2002, and 2003 ended up being old, fat white guys needing to get legal documents that will allow them to marry their young, skinny Filipino girlfriends. I guess I shouldn't be too critical of them. 4 years ago I too was sitting in the embassy needing to get legal documents to marry my young, skinny Filipino girlfriend. The only difference in my case is I'm not old and fat (unless I'm in denial). Getting this legal documentation is pretty easy. So 2001 to 2003 were in and out of the counselor's office pretty quickly. 2004 has some issues because she kept leaving the office (which got me excited because I assumed I was next) and then immediately running back in. She did this at least 4 times. Finally it was 2005, meaning me! Success! Passport will be ready on March 8th.
Thank you Canada!
I only wish they were handing out maple syrup and poutine at the door to make it a real Canadian experience!

No comments: