Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reclining Buddha - Bangkok

Wat Pho, also known as Wat Phra Chetuphon or The Temple of the Reclining Buddha, is a Buddhist temple in Phra Nakhon district, Bangkok, Thailand. It is located in the Rattanakosin district directly adjacent to the Grand Palace. Its official full name is Wat Phra Chetuphon Vimolmangklararm Rajwaramahaviharn (gotta love that name). The temple is also known as the birthplace of traditional Thai massage. Let's go inside!

Like most places in Thailand, you need to remove your shoes before you can enter the inner area.

The Reclining Buddha is massive. It's a massive reclining golden Buddha statue housed in a hall that's only slightly larger than the statue itself. There are also support pillars for the structure lined right in front of the Buddha. This makes picture taking a tad awkward. It's impossible to get a picture of the whole statue at a good angle. Because of this I was forced to take photos in sections. First off, here's the head.

Now here's the feet.

Here's a photo of the Reclining Buddha from his feet to the his head in the distance.

And finally, here's a photo of the Reclining Buddha's backside. You can get a sense of the size of the Buddha by looking at the little people standing in front of his massive bottom.

While I was walking around the Reclining Buddha I kept hearing the echoed sounds of pieces of metal hitting other pieces of metal. When I reach the feet of the Buddha I saw where this sound was coming from. Along the wall, at the back of the Reclining Buddha, were a hundred metal pots. Exactly one hundred. In these pots, one by one, people were throwing in coins. I found out that these pots are for making wishes. Or more precisely, making one hundred wishes. I figured, why not, let's make a wish! I cashed in one of my Thai baht bills for a cup of coins and started, one by one, making my one hundred wishes. It took a while but I was vigilant. Nothing could get in the way of Kenn and his one hundred wishes. I succeeded in my wish wishing but we'll see in the future if my wish actually comes true.

On the way out after I collected my shoes I saw another statue of Davy Jones from the movie Pirates of the Caribbean (remember the first one from the Grand Palace?). But what is this I see in the background? What is that monk doing? Could he possibly be texting on a cellphone? Wow, cool. These Thai monks are hip and high tech!

1 comment:

E! said...

So much for giving up all material goods!