Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Blood Compact Site

While in Tagbilaran City in Bohol, Philippines we visited the Blood Compact Site.

The Blood Compact Site commemorates the spot where Datu Sikatuna, a native chieftain, forged a blood compact with Don Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, representing the King of Spain, for the purpose of fostering friendly relations between the two countries. The blood compact on March 16, 1565 is considered as the First Treaty of Friendship between the Filipinos and the Spaniards. This statue represents a very important piece of Filipino history. What I found perplexing about the Blood Compact Site was the total lack of information concerning the history. There was no plaque, no guides, no signs, no write-ups whatsoever that informed tourists why this statue (and the event it represents) is so important. The information I wrote here I had to research later on the internet because the site itself told me nothing. So odd. Come on Tourism Philippines, get with the program. Inquiring minds wanna know!

I wanted to get involved with this Treaty of Friendship. With my imaginary cup in hand I rewrote history - in my own silly image. I stood back away from the statue because I wanted to respect this important piece of Filipino history. After this photo was taken though I notice a few local Filipinos jumping up and down on the statue and practically sitting on Don Miguel Lopez de Legazpi's lap. I felt, if the locals can get close so can I...

This time I posed and pretended to drink from his cup. Sadly there was no wine, only a dead spider.

Aimee was so jealous of my superior posing that she had to get involved as well!

No comments: