Friday, March 28, 2008

Tarsier

I spent some time on the Philippine island of Bohol. While there I had the pleasure of finally seeing the Philippine's only species of monkey, the tarsier.

Tarsiers are the world's smallest primates. They have enormous eyes and very long hind limbs. Their feet have extremely elongated tarsus bones, from which the animals get their name. The head and body range from 10 to 15 cm in length, but the hind limbs are about twice this long (including the feet), and they also have a slender tail from 20 to 25 cm long. Their fingers are also elongated, with the third finger being about the same length as the upper arm. Most of the digits have nails, but the second and third toes of the hind feet bear claws instead, which are used for grooming. Tarsiers have very soft, velvety fur, which is generally buff, beige, or ochre in color.

They're cute in a furry alien kind of way. They are nocturnal creatures so I was able to sneak up to them while they were sleeping. They heard me approach, opened their eyes, stared at me for a few seconds, then closed their eyes and ignored me. I've never been ignored by something so small before. Silly monkeys.

2 comments:

E! said...

Were you allowed to touch them? I can't imagine getting as close as you did without some sign saying that you were not allowed to touch them or disturb them...

I just imagine some kid coming along and putting one in his pocket. (Notice I said "his"?)

Kenniverse said...

Oh, you're not allowed to touch them. There are signs all over reminding you of this. :)