Monday, October 1, 2007

Christowe'en? Or Hallowmas?

In the early 90s I used to work in a department store in Vancouver called Eatons. I remember being bombarded with Christmas decorations and music from the first week of November until the end of December. As soon as Hallowe'en was over the store would take down all the Hallowe'en displays and immediately replace them with Christmas displays. Back then I thought starting Christmas shopping in November was insane, now I see the Philippines starts it even earlier.

The stores here put up their Christmas decorations in early September. I went into a mall the other day and heard an odd selection of Christmas music (Frosty the Snowman) and 70s disco (Earth, Wind & Fire). Certain stores were already selling Christmas paraphernalia like trees, decorations, and such but what I found interesting was this one store couldn't decide which holiday it's promoting more: Christmas or Hallowe'en.

When you first walk into the store you see, on your left, Christmas paraphernalia and on your right, Hallowe'en paraphernalia. Your left ear is teased with the happy joyous songs of Christmas while your right ear is tortured with the goolish screams of vampires and ghosts. It's almost like standing at the crossroads of your life. You have one important decision to make: do you choose the side of God and all that is good. Or do you choose the side of Satan and all that is evil? Christmas or Hallowe'en? Good versus evil? I decided I wasn't ready for either holiday so I just walked straight. :)

I'll get into Philippines Christmas decorations and traditions when it's closer to Christmas but for now, feel the happiness and joy of these Philippine Christmas lanterns.


Maligayang Pasko!!!!

1 comment:

Trevor Dubinsky said...

Ugh, already stores here have both halloween and Christmas decorations too! Liquidation world, Walmart, Sears, zellers and super store.