Friday, March 20, 2009

Sugar

I'm sitting in a local coffee shop chain called Bo's Coffee adding a tiny bit of brown sugar to my iced americano went I noticed the guy beside me has already added five packets of sugar to his coffee and doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. Watching him has really reminded me how Filipinos seem to have a very avid sweet tooth. This sweet tooth goes well beyond adding insane amounts of sugar to coffee.

I've heard about Filipinos having chocolate cake for breakfast. I can barely tolerate chocolate cake in the evening let alone for breakfast.

When you order any mixed drink here, iced tea is a good example, it tends to arrive at your table oozing in sugar. Even after all this time I keep forgetting this, so when I order, and it arrives sickly sweet, I either kindly ask for a less sweet one or tolerate it, drink it down, and go through the rest of the day with a sugar-rush headache.

I remember this one time I was in a restaurant and I ordered a glass of sugarcane juice. I actually like the taste of sugarcane juice. It's surprisingly not as sweet as you would expect. It has a very nice flavour. But, for some odd reason the restaurant added what tasted like a pound of extra sugar to the sugarcane juice. What the hell? Whose bright idea was that? It's fucking sugarcane juice. It's made out of pure sugar? Why add extra to sugar to something that is already sugar? That's like forcing a sheep to wear a wool sweater. After that first taste I could feel my teeth quickly rotting away.

I just don't understand why everything here has to be so bloody sweet. If you think adding sugar to sugarcane juice is odd how about sitting down to a nice plate of sweet spaghetti. That's right, they add sugar to spaghetti sauce too. Isn't anything sacred in this world? I used to work with an Italian guy once who was fanatical about keeping Italian foods as close to old world as possible. Old traditional recipes, no modern fusion. We had many debates about the allowable ingredients a pizza should have. Being a traditionalist he thought 95% of the pizza restaurants were destroying Italian traditions (yes, he was a bit of an insane freak). I often wonder what he would think regarding Filipinos adding sugar to spaghetti sauces. He might go postal!

But you know, having Filipinos adding extra sugar to things it quite consistent with their other culinary habits. They seem to like extreme flavours. Filipino food is a combination of extreme saltiness, sweetness, and sourness. The best example I can think of that defines the Filipino palette is Bagoong Alamang with green mango. This dish effects almost every taste bud on your tongue all at once. Bagoong Alamang is shrimp paste. Think of it as the most fishy fish you've ever eaten then add lots of salt. You add it on top of green mango, which is unripe sour mango. What you end up with is an odd, but surprisingly tasty, combination that confuses your taste buds into submission. When I first tried it I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. My first impression made me think of what a sour crab apple must taste like if it was floating (and rotting) in ocean water for a few days. But, after a few more bites I found myself hooked. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to add sugar to the Bagoong Alamang and green mango mix. Imagine a food that effects all your taste buds at once. Your body might go into a hemorrhagic shock and you'll find yourself waking several hours later from a Bagoong Alamang coma. What a rush that would be!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wonder if there are many diabetics? Sugar free must be blasphemy

newsjunkie said...

Actually the pasta sauce used in the movie "The Godfather" had sugar in it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A467741

Also, sweet tooth is not surprising given that sugar has always been the leading export crop in the Philippines and in the past, other spices such as salt and pepper were very expensive.

I'm sure people here might be asking "why do other people like their food salty? And doesn't that kill their blood pleasure?" :)

j said...

there is a woman who i work with that could make this shrimp mango concoction but it sounds really gross!
i am going to take your word for it that you like it
and that is good enough for me!