Monday, July 21, 2008

"Mam Sir"

People are always greeting me here. No matter where I go, people are always greeting me with a soft spoken, "Good morning Sir," "Good afternoon Sir," "Good evening Sir," or a simple "Hello Sir," or an even simpler plain old "Sir." But, I find when I go into stores where it's become second nature for the sales clerks to greet the shoppers they hardly ever pay attention if you're male or female. It seems as soon as they see someone walking towards them in the corner of their eye they will automatically say, "Yes Mam Sir." Not ma'am, but mam. Many times I've been called this androgynous (or would that be hermaphrodite?) term. It's not a direct reflection of my masculine sexuality; I'm not really both a ma'am and a sir, I'm just greeted this way because I guess some of these shop clerks are too lazy to look up, see what gender I am, and then adjust their greeting to fit my masculine form. I'm happy to say that so far, I've never been just a 'mam.' It's either Sir, or Mam Sir. It gets really funny when a sales clerk even after looking up and seeing your gender continues with the 'Mam Sir' greeting.

Maybe Filipinos are just preparing us for the inevitable evolutionary next step. In a couple million more years we might all be androgynous anyhow and reproduce via cloning rather than man and woman intercourse. In a world like this, where you're neither man nor woman, then the 'Mam Sir" greeting is spot on. Filipinos are smart; they think ahead!

No comments: